Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nothing in the Fridge

So i was stuck at home today working on my thesis since my work project was cancelled due to the rain. I hadn't anticipated being home for lunch and I really didn't want to go out of my way to go and buy food. Instead I search my empty refridgerator for something decent to eat. The holidays have just passed so I have some old tamales (pass...I've had enough until next Christmas). I had sandwich meat (no bread), old leftovers (whcih have grown moldy and I refuse to throw out because I dread having to wash the stinky tupperware, cereal (no milk), chips (no salsa)... It was just one of those days.

Still I refused to grab something to eat, even though I was craving french fries and a coke from the local burger shop. Instead, I did the unthinkable, I looked in the freezer. We happen to have some shrimp leftover from our New Year's cioppino. I thought "cool, shrimp defrosts easily". I put the shrimp under running water and again search the fridge for something to cook the shrimp with. I had garlic, butter, and celery. Even though I was missing lemon and white wine for a nice scampi, I made use of what I had. I put all the ingrediants together and made a quick and easy meal with those three ingrediants (adding a bit of salt and pepper to taste). I ate it slowly since the first bite was so good.

I was so excited that these three and easy ingrediants made such a rich and flavorful meal. I mean, I might never make the old scampi ever again. I never used to buy celery, but now that aromatic vegetable has become a staple in my cooking.

The moral of the story, when nothing is in the fridge, check out the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment