Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Yellowtail Collar

It's been so cold out lately that today I just didn't feel like cooking. Joseph (the husband) and I decided we would go eat some sushi. Japanese food is by far my favorite. If I had the means I would eat that everyday and if it weren't so difficult I would prepare some rolls on my own. Anyhow, we walked down the street to one of the many sushi locales, Sushisaurus. Greeted by the ever so energetic shushing chefs, we happily sat down at one of the tables.

We are big eaters so we ordered 3 rolls, some monkey bombs (spicy tuna stuffed mushrooms), and Joseph's favorite, yellowtail collar. This delectable specimen doesn't look appeasing at all. It looks likes the pieces of fish you cut off and throw away with the guts, but looks are deceiving...

The collar is fried and served with a ponzu sauce for dipping. It has a light butter flavor as it touches your tongue and as you chew it, it has the texture of a thick steak style fish. It's like combining a bass with a swordfish. It is just yummy. The best part it looking for the last pieces of fish stuck on the bone. If it is cooked correctly I will even munch on the fried fins. Deep fried fish fins are like potato chips to me.

Tip: There is one thing I always do when trying out a new Japanese restaurant, I always as the chef to prepare their favorite. It exposes you to so much more than what's I the menu. One time I was served a soup that was cooked for the service workers. I have no idea what it was called or what was in it, but it was one of the best soups I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment